Thursday 17 September 2015

How do I feel about horror?

I would describe myself as a horror movie junkie! I love watching all kinds of horror movies. I feel that it is a perfect way to play on peoples minds and really test them. I find them to also be very clever. They all manage to find something that we are all scared of, if its not the story line itself then the characters, the setting, the make up or special effects and at the very least the jump scares. As a child I always wanted to watch horror movies but was never allowed and so I built this want to experience horror movies until I saw my first horror movie at the age of 12 which was 'Scream'. I'm pretty sure I was really scared but I knew in my head that it wasn't real. Horror just gives people a really good pump and pushes you beyond your boundaries. When you get to the end of a horror and look back at what you've just witnessed at put yourself through its pretty impressive to see what your capable of. I think I see it as more of a challenge, and I feel that's what horror movies should be. The more challenging they are to sit and watch the better they are because at the end of the day movie companies will always be facing the toughest thing with the audience which is: we know its not real and they therefore have to make it believable.




Heres a list of all the horror movies that I've seen:
Scream, Final Destination 3, the Blair witch project, poltergeist, Nosferatu, Saw, Cabin in the woods, Paranormal activity (all of them), Woman in Black (which I would strongly advise to see in theatre), Evil dead (2013 remake), Sinister 1, Sinister 2, The conjuring, Annabelle, Jessabelle, As Above so Below, Mama, Oculus, World war Z, The Possession, House at the end of the street, the devil inside, Prometheus, Quarantine 2, Apollo 18 and The last exorcism.
I think there's probably one or two more.
Another good thing about horror is that the movie doesn't have to be 100% horror, it could also be a hybrid. Meaning that there could be elements of action or comedy or even romance in it. The 2013 movie 'Hansel and Grettle: Witch Hunters' was a perfect example of this. This combined both horror and action to create a hybrid that both scared the audience the way a horror should and pumped them the way an action should. Another example could be 'Twilight' which is another hybrid of horror, romance and action.


Overall I'm feeling very excited about the year and can't wait to learn more about horror. As you may be able to tell from my list of horror movies I haven't seen many of the classics such as Phyco (1960), so it'll be interesting to see more of those. Something else that I am looking forward to doing is analysing movie posters. This is particularly because when I watch a movie I tend to watch the trailer straight away and don't spend much time if any actually looking at the poster to see what it has to offer and tell about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment